Thursday, February 23, 2012

Domestic violence.... take a stand

Today I want to take the time out to speak about the seriousness of domestic violence. I am not going to give you any statistics. I am going to hit you with cold hard realities. Domestic violence is something that affects everyone at one time or another. You do not need to be a victim to be affected. Or the person committing the violent act. Sometimes as people we know someone going through a situation.

Honestly domestic violence is a difficult situation to be in or know about. It doesn't matter whether you are the victim or loved one of a victim. How do you console someone with a black eye? How do you face your family with a black eye? How do you deal with someone who constantly goes back because "I love Him or Her"? Don't look at me for the answers because I do not have them.

Everyone always says that a person that stays in a bad situation has low self esteem. What is that is not the case? What if the person is scared for their lives?  People who stay in situations of domestic violence most often believe the person when they say they have changed or they will change. It's not because the abusee has low self worth. Sometimes you want to feel like the time you spent in the relationship wasn't a total waste.You want to feel like the person you love so much is able and capable to change to be with you. Unfortunately change hardly ever comes.

Abusive relationships are not limited to physical abuse. I want you to be able to recognize the mental and verbal abuse as well.  It is important for men and women to know when its time to say Fuck this and leave an abusive relationship. You have to build the strength within yourself and dig deep into your soul. Hopefully the realization doesn't come when it is too late.

Friends and relatives of victims.... Hear this please... Beating the abusers ass will not stop them from beating the abusee. The person being abused might go back after you have caught a case and you will have no one to blame but yourself. I know it is hard to pick up the broken pieces of your friends and relatives but try to counsel them. Through the but he/she loves me speech try not to hit your friend or relative because then you would be doing the same thing as the other person. Try to stick it out by your friends/ relatives side as long as you can and hopefully by your counseling they will see the light.

Domestic Violence is not a funny situation. I know because I have been there but I had to become strong and I had to look within myself for the strength to get up and leave. Till this day I am confident that I made the right decision and I do not regret it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment