Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's day Rant

Well today is 11/11/11 and it is also Veteran's day. As my day comes to an end I decide to pop some popcorn, which I ended up burning because I deicded to fetch my warm fuzzy robe. I am having a beer and taking a moment to relfect on life.

I overheard a conversation the other day at my workplace that was rather disturbing. One of the guys said "Oh if that were the case I would run to Canada or something i'm never serving in the military." It took everything I had in my soul not to yell out "You fucking cowardly little bitch" but I like having a job and I have bills to pay but I bit my tongue. I lost all respect for that individual. It's one thing to be afraid to serve but its another to be disrespectful.

When I served along side my bretheren in the United States Marine Corps one of our SSgt's introduced us to the flag burning ceremony. A flag burning ceremony is a proper way to dispose of a worn and tattered American flag. During the ceremony there were alot of things that were done and I can't remember much but what i do remember is that there was always a guest speaker.

The last ceremony we had there was a Marine Corps Veteran speaking to us. He was so proud and honored to be part of our ceremony. He kept ranting on and on about how awesome it was and speaking words of praise and thanks to us. It didnt make sense at the time. I didn't understand what this guy was so gung ho about.

In my mind he couldn't be speaking about the same Corps that made me leave my children almost every spring and fall to go to the field for a month at a time. He couldn't be speaking about the same Corps that made us do what we thought was fuck fuck work. He couldn't be talking about the Corps that showed favoritism to certain Marines. and you know what, He wasnt.

He was talking about the Corps that landed you a lifetime of frineds that you served along side. The friends who you ate with everyday. The ones you got in trouble with or for. The friends who fought along side you. The friends who, when you were over at war tried thir damnedsest to help you keep your mind off of the passing days. He was talking about the people that would be life long brothers and sisters.

He was talkng about the honor that you would feel when you told somoene you served as a Marine. He was talking about the look of awe that people give you when they found out you served. He was talking about pride. Being proud of what you have accomplished and letting it become part of you indefinitely.

Today I sit here eating my burnt popcorn, drinking a Sam Adams and listening to a foriegn subtitle film play in the back ground as a proud Veteran. I am proud of those who have come before me. I am proud of those who served with me and I am proud of those who have to courage to serve in the future.

I leave you tonight with this...... Life is not about how much money you have, its not about the clothes that you wear, its about how you love and treat the people around you. Love each other and appreciate all the blessings bestowed upon you. because everything in this world comes with a blessing even our pitfalls. Everything in life happens for a reason. You just need to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment