Monday, January 9, 2012

Is it racism or just random ignorance?

So today I read an article about a well-known Pizza company Papa John's was apologizing to a customer for a "racial slur" on a customer’s receipt. When I began reading the article I thought to myself damn.. What could they have put on a receipt that would warrant a company to apologize? I thought the absolute worst. I thought the receipt said the "N" word or something derogatory.

Upon looking at the photo of the receipt where it said customers name the receipt read "The Lady with the Chinky eyes". This caused me to snicker then I read the article further and found that the employee had been fired. I am not sure if this punishment was too harsh. Maybe because I am having trouble trying to figure out if this was truly a racial slur.

Reader's am I looking at this the wrong way? I mean I can see that this was ignorant on the employee’s behalf. He/she could have asked the customer their name. To be fired for using descriptive terminology? Is not like it said "the Chink" Or "The cracker". I have a lot of family members who have chinky eyes. I think that the employee should have been counseled and maybe mandated to attend HR ethics training at most, unless this person was a repeat offender then it might be understandable.

To think about it if I worked at a pizza place getting paid minimum wage I would probably try to have fun with it too. Give me the power to type in a customer’s name and you would probably end up with customers named "bald headed guy", "Lady with a wagon full of kids", "Girl with a bad attitude", "black girl with blue hair". I'm just saying..

What do you guys think... Is this a racial issue? Or is it an issue of not knowing any better? Was the punishment too harsh?

                                                                  

6 comments:

  1. It's a bit of both I think. "Chink" is considered to be racial to asains. They really don't like being called Chinky, Chink, ect ect...I have seen some confrontations b/c of the word. It's like a Dominican being called "Cocolo" might as well call him/her the "N" word.

    Was the punishment befitting of the crime. I think so, the person knew what he/she was writing on that reciept. He/she has to have known that the "chink" word offends someone out there. Why put that word on a reciet anyway? Its a professional setting, and calling a lady "The Lady with the Chinky eyes" is NOT in my eyes professional. Just my point of view on the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing devils advocate they didnt call her a "Chink". "the lady with the chinky eyes" could have been a person from any race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you are right on that one...But still not professional in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just like saying the fellow with the nigga lips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alias, Is it really though? when did chinky become a derrogitory term? Now nigga lips on the other hand that is racial. Hence the "N" word... If I am looking at this the wrong way please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would assume that it is..The N word is not the only racial slur out there. I know you're not saying that though. But thats the main thing people talk about. Chink,Jap,Engine,Honky,Spic..all of them are said to bring someone down

    ReplyDelete