Monday, July 25, 2011

I am Rich and you might be too...

In a conversation that I had with my children today we discussed what made a person rich. My daughter began the conversation with a statement about her friend. "My friend said she was rich but I went to her house and I don’t think she is." I then began to explain to my daughter that money does not make a person rich. Although, money can make your life more comfortable there are plenty of things that can make you a rich person. In my opinion, as long as you have a place to live, have clothes on your back, never go hungry, have people who love you, and have a relationship with God (or whatever you call him); well you are Rich.

A person can be rich in family. Not everyone in this world is blessed to have a family. There are many tragedies that rip families apart. Hell, there are many family members themselves that rip families apart. If you look around you and you have any kind of family around, then you are rich in family. They may not be the best family in the world but none of us can choose our blood.

A person can be rich in friends. You never know the importance in having someone to talk to until you have no one to talk to. I am not saying you need 800 friends to be rich in friends, it only takes one. You need someone you can text when your day goes wrong or when you are drunk out of your mind and need someone to talk you out of calling your ex.

A person can be rich in life, culture and knowledge. I mean I can go on and on for hours but I really don't think I need to do so. I know that personally, I am rich. I may live paycheck to paycheck trying to make a dollar out of 75 cents but I have a family who loves me. I have friends that I wouldn't trade for the world. I live to learn new things. I yearn for growth as a person. I have a giving heart. I have my own working relationship with God. I do everything I can to the best of my ability. So yes, I AM rich.

A lot of people in this world tend to take everything they have for granted. One of my superiors when I was in the Corps pulled me aside one day because I was in a frantic state over something I had no control over, he said to me: "Devil, It can always be worse, you could be living on the street and even then it still can always be worse." That changed my point of view on life.

I hope the people who read this don't feel this was me boasting about the things I have but instead, take a minute to re-evaluate what they have and hold dear to their souls and realize that they are just as rich as me. If not even more so.  Pinkies up, Mon Amis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment