Saturday, July 30, 2011

Regret, the forbidden word

So today I want to talk about something that I have done my best to eliminate from my vocabulary, regret. Now regret is defined by dictionary.com as a feeling of sadness or repentance for something that has occurred. I am not saying that I don't have feelings and I am definitely not saying that I don't feel that I make or have made mistakes. What I am saying is that I have learned to try to accept things as my reality.

Now if you think this is easy, well let me tell you it isn't. I have learned that everything happens for a reason. I know, I know, I sound like a bumper sticker. Let me explain this a little. I have had a crazy life. Full of ups and downs due to my awesome decisions, not. A good friend of mine taught me that a hard head makes for a soft ass but that's another story. The best example I can provide that support my theory is the prayer of serenity. "Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change." In a nut shell that's what it's about, acceptance.

Would have, could have, and should have should all be eliminated from your vocabulary. If you didn't do something correct the first time or at all. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE. So that you can get it right if the situation comes back up.

In every tragedy there is a lesson. How many people have been saved from near death experiences because something has happened to divert them from their overall destination? Example, I was always in a rush when I was running late. One day I was in the car with my best male friend. We were stuck in traffic and I was upset of course. He told me "Yo Chucky (don't ask), calm down. You don't know why there is traffic. This traffic could be keeping you from death. As we began to drive up, we found that the traffic was from a car accident. If I would have left my house 5 minutes earlier it could have been me in that accident. From then on I told myself everything happens for a reason.

Try your best to live life without regrets. If you are going to love, love with your WHOLE heart. So what you've been hurt or cheated on etc. If you choose a different caliber of male/female you may not have to worry about it again. If something doesn’t go as it should, try not to get upset. Think of alternatives or reasons why things didn’t go right and fix them (if you can).

In my personal experience I found that I encounter many people who are going through things I have gone through. Instead of dwelling on my past and consuming myself with pity I speak of my experiences and advise the person on different things they can do to improve their personal situation. I can only advise. People do what they want after that. I can't say I don't tell them I told you so because I do. I wouldn't be me if I didn't.

Is your life full of regret? What can you do to change this and how will you change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment