Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Et Tu Brute?

The title for my blog today comes from the play Julius Caesar. Just some background for those who didn't read the play, Brutus was supposed to be Julius Caesar's right hand man but in the end he was the one to stab him in the back. Et Tu Brute is French for “And you Brutus?” Today I want to talk about the difference between friends.

Lately a lot of people on FaceBook have been posting things about "Real" friends. It made me laugh because it was long ago that I too was betrayed by a few "Real" friends. I was taught by my mother that a friend is a dollar in your pocket if the pocket isn’t broken. Meaning, your real friends will show themselves in time.

Since my life's lesson in betrayal I have adapted a new attitude about my friends. First of all, my friends are broken up into 2 groups. Associates, people I know and sometimes call friends. I have a shit load of people I know and while my life is an open book for the most part. They feel they 100% know me but they really don't. I still hang out with them and party with them etc. I don't treat my associates badly.
 The other group I call them family or BESTIES. These are the people who I know can put up with my shit and vice versa. I am, contrary to popular belief, anti-social. My family “BESTIES” are the people who I trust. These are the people I know I can get shitty drunk around and they will get me home and hold my hair. These are the people I know that even if I haven't called them in 5 years when we talk it’s like time never passed. These are the people that I know won't steal my boyfriend.
Most importantly these are the people that will talk shit to my face not behind my back. Example: "Where the fuck do you think you are going with that on? You look like the muffin man's wife." Now if someone I didn't know said this to me I would flip out but if one of my Besties said this to me I would rethink my outfit and ask for advice. A lot of people in the world think they have friends but judging how they leave the house with their friends. I can tell you boo boo those are not your friends. Try again.
I appreciate all of my friends. Whether it's a friend I see once every 10 years or it's the person who I see every day. Not everyone can deal with my harsh personality. It takes a special person to be friends with the Popcorn Popper but once you are in, well we are friends for life.

*Ghetto voice* I want to give a shout out to all my BESTIES all over the world. Always remember. "Dudes come and go but your Bitches are FOREVER"

1 comment:

  1. Its been 12 yrs Devil....we need to catch up!

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete