Friday, September 16, 2011

The Medal of Honor

This morning I turned on the news and I was so proud to say that I was a Marine Sergeant. Although I am always proud of my accomplishments this morning was special. The Medal of Honor was awarded to a young Marine Corps Sergeant who is only 23 years old. He is the FIRST Marine to receive a Medal of Honor while still alive.

I type this with tears in my eyes. The heroism that this Marine portrayed is what it’s all about. As Marine's we are taught you never leave anyone behind and you take care of each other. This Marine risked his life for his fellow Marines. I know this act of valor is common amongst the Corps and many acts of heroism go unnoticed on a daily basis. This is just a really proud day for God, Country and Corps.

I remember sitting in Marine Corps history during boot camp learning about my fellow brothers who risked it all for their brothers. During the Crucible (the final test before you earned the honor of Marine) there were stations where we would stop at tired, worn out and practically starved, at these stations the Drill Instructors would tell us stories about Marine's who earned the Medal of Honor. No matter how exhausted I was, I felt a rush of pride run through my body. The same rush that I feel today.

I hope you guys to take the time out to read the article on this Marine.
Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us/dakota-meyer-marine-is-awarded-medal-of-honor.html?_r=1&ref=politics

No comments:

Post a Comment