Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So I may be a hypochondriac

Anyone who knows me knows that a lot of my conversations start with "OMG I am _____, I think I'm going to die. It may be a bit extreme on my part. Since I hardly get sick when something is going on with me I feel like the world may be ending.

The other day my ear was hurting. I made an appointment right away. I had the doctor set up a special appointment for me because I just knew I had an ear infection. I leave work early and get to the doctor. She checks my ears and I didn't even have stitch of infection, redness or wax. I quietly walked out from the office and said thank you.

Upon return to work a friend of mine asked me if I had an ear infection. I said "No, the doctor said everything was fine." She laughed at me and said "I think you might be a hypochondriac." I guess there were numerous occasions when I came up to her desk telling her I was going to die because of something that wasn't a major concern. She even listed the occasions. Egg on my face for caring too much about my health.

I don't know when this began or why but now if something is wrong I am on WebMD, medicine.net and any other site that offers information on medical ailments and symptoms. Most often times it provides good information on things. Other times it causes me to run to the doctor to make sure I am not dying of something. Since I am not dead yet I can safely say I don't have any life threatening diseases. I just need to take it easy and realize that the world of bacteria and viruses is not out to get me.

I know a lot of people out there that don't even go to the doctor. How do these people live with themselves?
Which are you the doctor goer or the person who just dies on the train? And am I overreacting?

1 comment:

  1. Dies on train I need to stop that tho I'm suppose to be at the doc as we speak smh

    ReplyDelete